WSUS Support Forums: Daylight Savings Time Patch information - WSUS Support Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Daylight Savings Time Patch information Can't find it in WSUS? Have Windows 2000 computers?

#1 User is offline   Rob Dunn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advisory Members

Post icon  Posted 28 Feb 2007, 13:00

Daylight savings time is now set to change at 2:00am March 11th.

The Daylight Savings Time patch is listed as KB931836 as of time of this writing (02/28/07)...it was KB928388.

How to make sure you are synchronizing this update

You will need to make sure that you are synchronizing update rollups in your synchronization settings at the WSUS console. Once you've selected 'Update Rollups', you will need to save your settings, and synchronize your WSUS server to get the updates that fall under that category.

What are the supported client Operating Systems?

This update is available for XP, 2003, etc.

What about Windows 2000?

Currently, you can contact Microsoft and pay for Windows 2000 support so you can get a hotfix to deploy to your network computers...or...you can update your workstations manually using a couple scripts and registry edits.

If you do have the Windows 2000 hotfix from Microsoft (you would have received this only if you opened a PSS ticket with Microsoft and paid for the support!), you cannot deploy the update via WSUS. You would need to use a process similar to what I've mentioned below to deploy (or via other software deployment mechanisms).

Here's what I have done:

I followed the instructions on this page:
http://support.micro...kb/914387/en-us

I created three files based upon their instructions, and copied them to my netlogon share (these scripts are attached below):
  • tzupdate.reg
  • DST2007Update_Win2K.cmd
  • refreshTZinfo.vbs
Then I created a fourth file:
DST_Update_W2K.vbs

(although this file is for Windows 2000, it can be run on XP/2003 computers)

with the following code:

'This code updated 03/01/07 - added proper support for Server 2003...just in case.
On error resume next

Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002
Dim bXP, bWin2k, sOS
bWin2k = false
bWin2k3 = false
bWinXP = false

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set objLocator = CreateObject("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
Set objWMIService = objLocator.ConnectServer( strComputer, "root\default")
Set WshSysEnv = WshShell.Environment("PROCESS")
Set oReg = objWMIService.Get("StdRegProv")

strComputer = "."
'strScriptPath = replace(wscript.scriptfullname,wscript.scriptname,"")

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colOperatingSystems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select Caption,ServicePackMajorVersion from Win32_OperatingSystem")

strKeyPath = "system\currentcontrolset\control\timezoneinformation"
subKey = "DaylightStart"

For Each objOperatingSystem in colOperatingSystems
  If err.number <> 0 then
	wscript.quit   
  End If
  sOS = objOperatingSystem.Caption

wscript.echo sOS & " detected"

If InStr(sOS, "2000") Then 
	bWin2k = true
  ElseIf instr(sOs,"2003") Then
	bWin2k3 = true
  ElseIf instr(sOs,"XP") Then
	bWinXP = true
  End If

Next 

oReg.GetBinaryValue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,strKeyPath,subKey,key

For i = lBound(key) to uBound(key)
	sValue = sValue & key(i)
Next
'IF bWin2k3 = true then inputbox "Binary values","Binary values",sValue
'wscript.echo bWin2k
'wscript.quit

If sValue <> "0030202000000000" Then 
  'msgbox "This computer requires the DST patch."
  If bWin2k = true then 
	  wscript.echo "Patching system for Daylight Savings Time update..."
	  WshShell.Run WshSysEnv("LOGONSERVER") & "\netlogon\DST2007Update_Win2K.cmd"
  ElseIf bWin2k3 = true then 
		wscript.echo "Patching Server for Daylight Savings Time update..."
		WshShell.Run WshSysEnv("LOGONSERVER") & "\netlogon\WindowsServer2003-KB931836-x86-ENU.exe /z /u"
  Else
	If bWinXP = true then  
	  'wscript.echo "TEST"
	  If sValue <> "00110102000000000" Then
		'wscript.echo "Patching system for Daylight Savings Time update..."
		'WsShell.Run WshSysEnv("LOGONSERVER") & "\netlogon\Rockford\WindowsXP-KB931836-x86-ENU.exe /z /u"
	  Else
		wscript.echo "Daylight Savings Time update already applied"
	  End If
	End if
  End If
Else
	   wscript.echo "Daylight Savings Time update already applied"
End if

I then added this script to our logon.bat file (you may want to assign it directly to your OU, be sure you use cscript.exe as the scripting engine, otherwise you will get popups during processing):

REM You will not need to do this if you have designated the DST_Update_W2K.vbs script as your logon script in the AD OU structure.

echo Checking Operating System for Daylight Savings Time update
echo.
echo.

cscript.exe /nologo "%logonserver%\netlogon\Rockford\DST_Update_W2K.vbs"

You may need to restart your computers in order for this to work, but I have tested it on our Windows 2000 stations here, and it works just fine.

The vbs is smart enough to determine the difference between XP and 2000.

You will need to rename each file with the proper extension. For example, DST2007Update_Win2K_cmd.txt is DST2007Update_Win2K.cmd.

You also may need to edit the .cmd file to run the files from the proper paths.

Attached File(s)

WSUS Beginner's Admin FAQ

Computers not showing up in WSUS? See this post: http://www.wsus.info...?showtopic=9312
-------------------------------------
WSUS Extract - extract update EXE's from the WSUS content folder: WSUS Extract 1.30

UpdateHF - force client to download and install approved Windows Updates: Force Windows Update download and install 2.5 (03/26/07)

SetAuthorization - Perform a /resetauthorization and /detectnow against a remote computer where you have administrative privileges

Various Admin scripts, WSUS stuff, and HTA-driven IS tools: http://www.vbshf.com/vbshf/forum

My electronic music side-project: http://www.funender....c/maximillian_x

#2 User is offline   ChaoS CoA 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular Members

Posted 28 Feb 2007, 14:31

View PostRob Dunn, on Wed 28th Feb 2007, 01:00 pm, said:

Daylight savings time is now set to change at 2:00am March 11th.

The Daylight Savings Time patch is listed as KB931836 as of time of this writing (02/28/07)...it was KB928388.

How to make sure you are synchronizing this update

You will need to make sure that you are synchronizing update rollups in your synchronization settings at the WSUS console.

What are the supported client Operating Systems?

This update is available for XP, 2003, etc.

What about Windows 2000?

Currently, you can contact Microsoft and pay for Windows 2000 support so you can get a hotfix to deploy to your network computers...or...you can update your workstations manually using a couple scripts and registry edits.

Here's what I have done:

I followed the instructions on this page:

I created three files based upon their instructions, and copied them to my netlogon share (these scripts are attached below):
  • tzupdate.reg
  • DST2007Update_Win2K.cmd
  • refreshTZinfo.vbs
Then I created a fourth file:
DST_Update_W2K.vbs

with the following code:

See above for most recent code

I then added this script to our logon.bat file (you may want to assign it directly to your OU, be sure you use cscript.exe as the scripting engine, otherwise you will get popups during processing):

REM You will not need to do this if you have designated the DST_Update_W2K.vbs script as your logon script in the AD OU structure.

echo Checking Operating System for Daylight Savings Time update
echo.
echo.

cscript.exe /nologo "%logonserver%\netlogon\Rockford\DST_Update_W2K.vbs"

You may need to restart your computers in order for this to work, but I have tested it on our Windows 2000 stations here, and it works just fine.

The vbs is smart enough to determine the difference between XP and 2000.

You will need to rename each file with the proper extension. For example, DST2007Update_Win2K_cmd.txt is DST2007Update_Win2K.cmd.

You also may need to edit the .cmd file to run the files from the proper paths.

Hi Rob - good stuff here.

Our domain controllers are a mixture of win 2000 and win 2003 servers.

Is it OK to apply this OU to the Domain Controllers OU in this case? Will it only update the 2000 machines?

Sincerely,

KP

#3 User is offline   Rob Dunn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 Feb 2007, 15:16

View PostChaoS CoA, on Wed 28th Feb 2007, 03:31 pm, said:

Hi Rob - good stuff here.

Our domain controllers are a mixture of win 2000 and win 2003 servers.

Is it OK to apply this OU to the Domain Controllers OU in this case? Will it only update the 2000 machines?

Sincerely,

KP

Yep, the code in the script will only run if the windows OS caption contains "2000" - kinda cheeky, but it works! ;) - - note that the script that controls this is the one that I wrote (shown above in the code section).

If you want to test it out on your domain controllers, you could comment out any wshshell.run line, and see if the command window says 'patching...' etc. - I updated the code this afternoon (03/01/07) - please use this version if you plan to run it on a domain controller.

Rob

Computers not showing up in WSUS? See this post: http://www.wsus.info...?showtopic=9312
WSUS Extract - extract update EXE's from the WSUS content folder: WSUS Extract 1.30

UpdateHF - force client to download and install approved Windows Updates: Force Windows Update download and install 2.5 (03/26/07)

SetAuthorization - Perform a /resetauthorization and /detectnow against a remote computer where you have administrative privileges

Various Admin scripts, WSUS stuff, and HTA-driven IS tools: http://www.vbshf.com/vbshf/forum

#4 User is offline   ChaoS CoA 

• PipPip

Posted 01 Mar 2007, 13:43

I have manually updated all my win 2k servers . . . and ran the patch on all windows 2003 servers.

I am still curious why I do not get the patch for windows XP Pro with SP2 in WUS?

I did not have synchronizing update rollups checked so I checked that and re-synched WUS and still no KB931836 or KB928388 as an available update?

Any ideas why that is not an option in WUS for me?

Thanks in advance.

KP

#5 User is offline   shaha 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 01 Mar 2007, 13:51

Hello Rob. Thanks for the info.

I did a search on the WSUS console for 931836. It gave me lots of update rollups for Windows Server 2003 and Windos XP. However, it doesnt reflect that any of my machines need this update under the status tab. Most of machine are XP. Let me know. Thanks.

ChaoS CoA - How did you update your Windows 2000 servers?

This post has been edited by shaha: 01 Mar 2007, 13:53

#6 User is offline   ChaoS CoA 

• PipPip

Post icon  Posted 01 Mar 2007, 14:14

View Postshaha, on Thu 1st Mar 2007, 01:51 pm, said:

Hello Rob. Thanks for the info.

I did a search on the WSUS console for 931836. It gave me lots of update rollups for Windows Server 2003 and Windos XP. However, it doesnt reflect that any of my machines need this update under the status tab. Most of machine are XP. Let me know. Thanks.

ChaoS CoA - How did you update your Windows 2000 servers?

I finally figured it out - I had to select select "Update Rollups" and "Updates" - saved the sync settings - then re-synched and bingo it was finally there.

I did my win 2k servers this way -

Moved all win2k servers to one OU

Moved all win2k professional machines to another

Applied the update through group policy . . . .

All the win 2k servers 1st

Then I manually patched the windows 2003 servers (Only 5 so just did them manually)

Next - I applied the group policy to the windows 2000 professional machines.

My domain controllers are 2 Win 2003 servers and 1 windows 2000 server. I chickened out on that OU and just ran the update manually on that one win 2k server domain controller.

To get all this going I followed this link from Microsoft - read it carefully and it has all you need to get that going:

#7 User is offline   2 Trees 

• PipPip

Posted 07 Mar 2007, 12:48

Wonder if there's a way to run these scripts from a floppy?? I have very little experience with GP and logon scripts.

Wayne

#8 User is offline   Rob Dunn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 Mar 2007, 14:42

View Post2 Trees, on Wed 7th Mar 2007, 01:48 pm, said:

Wonder if there's a way to run these scripts from a floppy?? I have very little experience with GP and logon scripts.

Wayne

You can run these from a floppy...they are certainly small enough, make sure you verify that the paths referenced inside of the .cmd file is correct when calling the other files.

With that said...GPOs are very easy to do, and require a small learning curve. Well, at least for the logon scripts - - those are about the easiest ones to do of all ;)

Here's a decent article on GPOs in Windows 2000. http://support.micro...om/?kbid=322176

Other useful links: http://labmice.techt...ry/grpolicy.htm

#9 User is offline   bobbrown731 

• Pip

Posted 08 Mar 2007, 07:40

Forgive the question, but where you say replace the "wscript" with "cscript" to prevent popups, is it okay to do a find and replace on everything that says "wscript" and replace with "cscript"?

I deployed the script as a GRO in AD and yes I have the cute little popups LOL. :rolleyes:

Bob

This post has been edited by bobbrown731: 08 Mar 2007, 07:41

#10 User is offline   Rob Dunn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 Mar 2007, 07:46

View Postbobbrown731, on Thu 8th Mar 2007, 08:40 am, said:

Forgive the question, but where you say replace the "wscript" with "cscript" to prevent popups, is it okay to do a find and replace on everything that says "wscript" and replace with "cscript"?

I deployed the script as a GRO in AD and yes I have the cute little popups LOL. :rolleyes:

Bob

Not in the .vbs itself - wscript is an instantiated object that needs to be there. You change that and your script is no good ;)

If you are deploying this via logon script, I would create a batch file, then call the VBScript with:

cscript /nologo "\\path\to\yourscript.vbs"

#11 User is offline   Rob Dunn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 12 Mar 2007, 06:32

FYI - if your PCs have the update installed, but you noticed that your computer was still an hour off this morning, check your clock settings and make sure that 'Automatically adjust for daylight savings time' is checked.

Attached File(s)

#12 User is offline   samd 

• PipPip

Posted 14 Mar 2007, 09:41

View PostRob Dunn, on Mon 12th Mar 2007, 09:32 am, said:

FYI - if your PCs have the update installed, but you noticed that your computer was still an hour off this morning, check your clock settings and make sure that 'Automatically adjust for daylight savings time' is checked.

I ran the scripts MS provides for Windows 2000 on some of our Windows 2000 servers. I did this via a local group policy startup script on the computer. For instance I put all the files in C:\DST and changed the paths in the .cmd file to reference the path. I rebooted the machine and the time was still an hour behind. I checked the event log and found that it did show the machine had reloaded it's DST settings. This is event ID 4. So I decided to run the script manually. The time still didn't change on the fly. To troubleshoot I took the /S off the regedit command and removed the echo off to make sure the import of the reg file was successful. Everything appeared to run fine. Still no dynamic hour change. Reboot of the machine and the time was correct. No idea why this was the case.

#13 User is offline   pimpshiza 

• Pip

Posted 14 Mar 2007, 16:56

This is happening here also... will try removing the switch as well.

... Update: Our Win 2000 computers seem to be erroring out after the OS validation message.

<shrug>

This post has been edited by pimpshiza: 15 Mar 2007, 10:02

#14 User is offline   iupgrade 

• Pip

Posted 20 Mar 2007, 06:51

Rob Dunn suggested making sure that you have "Automatically Adjust for Daylight Saving Time" checked.

How can you do that via GPO in AD so I do not have to go to 200 computers individually?

#15 User is offline   iupgrade 

• Pip

Posted 20 Mar 2007, 06:59

I was having the same issue as pimpshiza and samd with the time not updating automatically.
The Windows 2000 computers in question did have "Automatically Ajust for Daylight Saving Time" checked.

I fixed it by doing the following. The dst2007update_win2k.cmd file contains 2 commands in it. The first command merges the tzupdate.reg file into your registry. The second command calls the refreshtzinfo.vbs script. All I did was take that second command and put it into a second file called refresh.cmd and ran that as a script via GPO as well. After rebooting the computer so that it ran the startup scripts, the time adjusted automatically.

#16 User is offline   thomastxiee 

• PipPip

Posted 31 Oct 2007, 06:19

Hi, the new KB933360 came out for the XP systems. Does anyone know if we have already applied the KB931836 patch, do we need to apply this new patch?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users