WSUS Support Forums: WSUS Content Folder is Out of Control! - WSUS Support Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

WSUS Content Folder is Out of Control!

#1 User is offline   krism75 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular Members

Posted 11 Sep 2006, 11:51

Due to the number and variety of machines that we support, we have to approve ALL english updates. Early last week, our content folder was around 24GB, Friday when I left work it was around 40GB. I came in today and it was 44GB (6593 files). Nothing was done to the server over the weekend, so I can't figure out how it grew that much. I ran the purgeunneeded files (wsusdebug) and deleteunneeded revisions (wsusutil), but it didn't free up very much space. I even went as far as deleting the content folder and redownloading everything. We're quickly running out of space and I'm a little desperate at this point. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what is happening?

#2 User is offline   dvanmeter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advisory Members

Posted 11 Sep 2006, 17:38

Sounds like you are syncing more than english updates, Double check your server settings and make sure it is set to sync all patches that match the server language.

#3 User is offline   sandy 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 12 Sep 2006, 00:52

View Postkrism75, on Mon 11th Sep 2006, 09:51 pm, said:

Due to the number and variety of machines that we support, we have to approve ALL english updates. Early last week, our content folder was around 24GB, Friday when I left work it was around 40GB. I came in today and it was 44GB (6593 files). Nothing was done to the server over the weekend, so I can't figure out how it grew that much. I ran the purgeunneeded files (wsusdebug) and deleteunneeded revisions (wsusutil), but it didn't free up very much space. I even went as far as deleting the content folder and redownloading everything. We're quickly running out of space and I'm a little desperate at this point. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what is happening?

There seems to be problem in your configuration settings ....you would have enabled all language update downloads...also you would have selected all the contents for Microsoft...Please try to minimise your download upto specific required updates...like if you have office 2003 in your enviornment than only enable for office 2003....and do not enable for any beta....if you have only XP Client then enable only for XP disable all teh downloads for other 64 bit or home edition. Also for server if you have windows 2000 and not 2k3 then disable updates for all win 2k3. This will minimise all your folder size.

#4 User is offline   krism75 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular Members

Posted 12 Sep 2006, 06:07

I've double, triple, quadruple checked to make sure that I'm synching English only updates. Due to our environment, we have to approve all Microsoft products. The funny thing is that I support another server on a disconnected network (I export the content from the server with the 44GB content folder) and the content folder size on the disconnected server is 20GB. I don't get it!

#5 User is offline   mohamed_15 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 29 May 2009, 13:29

i have network with distributed sites with around 1000 computes
daily i am deleting unneeded updates but no use all the time i am getting out of space , i am asking no solution to control space for wsus

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users