Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Compared to SUS, WSUS sucks! SUS=easy, WSUS=nightmare! Discuss

#1 User is offline   abritton 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular Members

Posted 21 Jul 2005, 08:06

The first time I installed SUS, it worked perfectly :D . I've now lost count of the number of times I've installed it, but the number of problems I've had I can count on one hand.

After struggling with WSUS on a 2003 server (SP1) for a day and a half, it seems much less reliable and harder to troubleshoot :angry: .

Any one else feel like me? :huh:

#2 Guest_jp_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 Jul 2005, 08:21

abritton, on Fri 22nd Jul 2005, 01:06 am, said:

The first time I installed SUS, it worked perfectly :D . I've now lost count of the number of times I've installed it, but the number of problems I've had I can count on one hand.

After struggling with WSUS on a 2003 server (SP1) for a day and a half, it seems much less reliable and harder to troubleshoot :angry: .

Not I :)

#3 User is offline   overworkedunderpaid 

• PipPip

Posted 21 Jul 2005, 08:48

Nope, WSUS is the best thing since...well, its not that good, but its way better than SUS. I have had SUS running for about three years. It did a good job plugging along pushing critical updates. About a week ago I did a parralel installation of wsus on my sus server (an upgrade would have been a lot easier but thats not an option). Yeah, WSUS took me about a day to read the documentation, install, set up a couple clients to look at it instead of sus, test it, decomission sus and change wsus to use the default port that sus was using so the change would be transparent to all my clients (it was already on the same server so the name was already ok. But, now that I have become familiar (more or less) with the somewhat goofy console, I LOVE IT!. Without WSUS you know what you would be doing with those office patches to protect against infected image files? Thats right, you would be going around and touching each one. I figure I saved probably 100 man hrs this week with my wsus server. So how many clients do you have connecting to your sus server? How many are already all patched? Do you know which ones are broke and not keeping themselves up to date? The console on wsus can mislead you in some views. In the "updates" view, sometimes it looks like its grabbing an old record and can show you that a computer still needs a patch, Cross check by going to the "computers" view, sort by computer name and check the newest record for that computer to see if it really needs an update or not. Its definitly more complex to set up that sus but IMHO worth the extra time for what you get.

This post has been edited by overworkedunderpaid: 21 Jul 2005, 08:51

#4 User is offline   VictPark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 Jul 2005, 20:50

No, i had alot of problems when first setting up WSUS but now i am going great. It the best thing i have ever done, you mustnt have much patience, or you arent asking any questions.I havent seen one post from you asking for help. Maybe if you asked instead of trying to solve the problem yourself you might get somewhere. What problems are you having? Thats all you have to say. Everyone here helps each other, its no use going off half cocked when you havent even seen what WSUS does compared to SUS. I will be happy to help in any way i can if you just tell me the problems, i am sure alot of people here would as well

thankyou
Sam

#5 Guest_Audrey_*

Posted 22 Jul 2005, 10:39

VictPark, on Fri 22nd Jul 2005, 01:50 pm, said:

No, i had alot of problems when first setting up WSUS but now i am going great. It the best thing i have ever done, you mustnt have much patience, or you arent asking any questions.I havent seen  one post from you asking for help. Maybe if you asked instead of trying to solve the problem yourself you might get somewhere. What problems are you having? Thats all you have to say. Everyone here helps each other, its no use going off half cocked when you havent even seen what WSUS does compared to SUS. I will be happy to help in any way i can if you  just tell me the problems, i am sure alot of people here would as well

thankyou
Sam

#6 Guest_Audrey_*

Posted 22 Jul 2005, 11:37

Well, I agree with abritton, however I am ready for help. I haven't even gotten to the problem of having no computers. I can't get it from port 8530 to port 80. When I go into IIS, to stop SUSAdmin, I have to stop the default website. Well, this in turns stops exchange. Not such a good thing, obviously! How do I remove SUS and then enable WSUS on port 80. I am following instructions I printed out from Microsoft and they were great, up until this part. Any help is appreciated!!

#7 User is offline   Rob Dunn 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advisory Members

Posted 22 Jul 2005, 11:45

I've had very minor issues - mostly with the front-end/back-end SQL configuration, but that's working fine now.

Reading the documentation is key - setting up the GPOs properly is the #1 thing you need to watch out for when installing it.

I must say that I LOVE WSUS, and we were running SUS prior to that.

SUS was a blind patching system, whereas now I can say x% of my environment (which are reporting in to WSUS) are patched.
WSUS Beginner's Admin FAQ

Computers not showing up in WSUS? See this post: http://www.wsus.info...?showtopic=9312
-------------------------------------
WSUS Extract - extract update EXE's from the WSUS content folder: WSUS Extract 1.30

UpdateHF - force client to download and install approved Windows Updates: Force Windows Update download and install 2.5 (03/26/07)

SetAuthorization - Perform a /resetauthorization and /detectnow against a remote computer where you have administrative privileges

Various Admin scripts, WSUS stuff, and HTA-driven IS tools: http://www.vbshf.com/vbshf/forum

My electronic music side-project: http://www.funender....c/maximillian_x

#8 User is offline   Dancar 

• PipPip

Posted 22 Jul 2005, 12:21

abritton, on Fri 22nd Jul 2005, 01:06 am, said:

I actually think WSUS is far better than SUS, the only problem I ran into was XP SP2 machines needing "Authenticated Users" with read access to the automatic update service, this list was very helpfull in resolving that issue.

If you image machines using ghost or some other imaging software you have to be sure you are running sysprep on all your computers or the SIDS will be the same and that is not a good thing as the first computer with that particular SID will check into WSUS and any other PC with that SID never will.

Dan

#9 User is offline   VictPark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 Jul 2005, 20:43

Audrey, on Sat 23rd Jul 2005, 04:07 am, said:

Well, I agree with abritton, however I am ready for help.  I haven't even gotten to the problem of having no computers.  I can't get it from port 8530 to port 80.  When I go into IIS, to stop SUSAdmin, I have to stop the default website.  Well, this in turns stops exchange.  Not such a good thing, obviously!  How do I remove SUS and then enable WSUS on port 80.  I am following instructions I printed out from Microsoft and they were great, up until this part.  Any help is appreciated!!

This is a problem that i had. So i gather you have stopped the acutual SUS website, and you need to change the ports over. Firstly to completey uninstall the SUS service go into start, control panel, add/remove programs now look for SUS in this. Click on remove. Now once this is completed go into IIS and right click on your WSUS site and got to properites, see if you can change the port to port 80 in here. If this does not work. You have to uninstall IIS and WSUS. Then reinstall IIS and then WSUS, but this time in WSUS set up there will be a option to install the WSUS admin webpage to port 80 or port 8530. Make sure you select port 80.
Keep Me posted.
Hope I helped
Sam

#10 User is offline   root 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 Jul 2005, 22:53

Many thinks are better now in WSUS (eg. Office/SQL Patch download) but the up/downstream server solution is bullshit as it is now in WSUS - this was much better in SUS where you were able to define, what should be downloaded to your upstream servers. It's not possible to synchronize 120 GB of Data to 10 upstream Servers and thers is not the diskspace available but it's no longer possible to remove unneeded languages on upstream servers.

Reporting is also no longer working centralized like it was working in SUS - there you were able to point all clients to different SUS Servers but to use one Server as Status Server and then it was possible to create reports with external tools.

I don't understand why this two functions has been changed because they were very good in SUS. I could only hope that someone (maybe MS itself) could fix this issues.

#11 Guest_Audrey_*

Post icon  Posted 30 Aug 2005, 10:19

This is a problem that i had. So i gather you have stopped the acutual SUS website, and you need to change the ports over. Firstly to completey uninstall the SUS service go into start, control panel, add/remove programs now look for SUS in this. Click on remove. Now once this is completed go into IIS and right click on your WSUS site and got to properites, see if you can change the port to port 80 in here. If this does not work. You have to uninstall IIS and WSUS. Then reinstall IIS and then WSUS, but this time in WSUS set up there will be a option to install the WSUS admin webpage to port 80 or port 8530. Make sure you select port 80.
Keep Me posted.
Hope I helped
Sam

I had to remove SUS, then remove WSUS, and reinstall in on port 80. Now that I have it installed correctly, everything is working great. Thanks for your help! :D

#12 User is offline   VictPark 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 Aug 2005, 15:15

No problem.

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 31 Aug 2005, 06:16

WSUS is better. SUS reporting sucked and harder to troubleshoot clients.

If you read the documentation and create a plan, then its not that tuff. I followed the step by step documentation and it worked fine.

I think alot of people who have never worked with SQL may have some problems. I don't think it the installation is for beginners.

#14 User is offline   jdflory 

• PipPip

Posted 31 Aug 2005, 06:30

I really don't understand why you think SUS is so much better than WSUS. Perhaps I am not using it in an environment where this is seen, but my experience so far has been that WSUS is many times better than SUS.

I initially downloaded the MS whitepapers on deploying and migrating WSUS and read through them a few times before installing anything. Then, I installed WSUS 4 times in testing, each time in a different scenario (Win2k, Win2k3, SQL, MSDE, SUS upgrade, clean install) and each time everything was 100% working like it should.

Then, my final installation was a clean install on a fresh Win2003 SP1 install and everything has been peachy so far. All 150 clients of mine checked in within 15 minutes of the GPO change and within 24 hours all PCs had given a status report. Our SUS server had about an 85% success rate at updating our pcs and most of the pcs I was never able to troubleshoot what was wrong. So far in all my testing only 1 machine has failed to update/report and fixing it was fairly straightforward.

#15 User is offline   dbroder 

• PipPip

Posted 31 Aug 2005, 09:01

I do find WSUS to be better, but the lack of central reporting and central patch distribution for distributed servers is poor.

I have two remote sites that I won't install WSUS servers in until these problems are resolved. For now, they'll get their updates from the main WSUS server, just like everyone else.

Darren.

#16 User is offline   dvanmeter 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advisory Members

Posted 31 Aug 2005, 19:37

I dont know if If I agree with you on this. Maybe this does not apply to you, but out of the box and with basic sus understanding WSUS has worked pretty much the way it should for me. With the exception of a remote sql not working for me when instructions were followed perfectly (Fixed with adding the WSUS admin group to have full rights over the database). I find most people having problems lack Group policy experience, the ability to deploy registry keys via batch, vbs, login scripts etc. The others experience problems due to network ACL restrictions, firewalls, proxies. Most of the problems would be prevented if the documentation was FULLY read prior to installation. This even I am guilty of. Everytime I have blamed wsus on something and I set for a day or two to ponder what is happening I usually come back to a mistake I have made or a problem with the GPO's inhereting or not applying. I have 5000 clients using WSUS. I was happy with SUS but the new feature are excellent in WSUS for a complex environment and much easier to configure than deploying agents to computers like many other products. I have used patchlink, zenworks, updateexpert, hfnetchkpro and in the end WSUS was much easier to deploy the basic security patches. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users