WSUS Support Forums: KB log file for Every Patch? - WSUS Support Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

KB log file for Every Patch? Is a KB Log File generated for every patch?

#1 User is offline   TechGromit 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular Members

Posted 04 Oct 2011, 14:09

Hello,

My WSUS server says that KB2286198 is not needed for most of the computers I have. However a log file was generated on every computer I checked even though the patch wasn't needed. Do the clients attempt to install every approved patch, weather it needs to be installed or not and generated a log file for that attempt? The log file for KB2286198 has a number of fails listed, but the WSUS server report says the comptuer doesn't need the patch.

Perhaps I need ask the question another way. How does a Client determine it doesn't need a patch? What magic goes on behind the scenes to tell WSUS weather a machine needs or does not need a patch?

Thank you.

This post has been edited by TechGromit: 04 Oct 2011, 14:10

#2 User is offline   TechGromit 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular Members

Posted 06 Oct 2011, 05:28

View PostTechGromit, on 04 Oct 2011, 17:09, said:

My WSUS server says that KB2286198 is not needed for most of the computers I have. However a log file was generated on every computer I checked even though the patch wasn't needed. ....

I beleive I may have answered my own question. KB2286198 is superceeded by Patch MS11-006 (KB2483185), so when I'm looking at the WSUS server it telling me that KB2286198 is not needed. KB2286198 was proably needed and installed on all the comptuers back in August 2010, but since the patch was superceeded by another patch, WSUS ignores weather or not the patch was installed on the comptuers and just tells me the current status is not needed.

I still don't understand how the computers determine weather they need or don't need a paticlar patch. Is it something the comptuer is doing? Or based on the report the computer is uploading to the WSUS server, the server decides if the patch is needed or not needed.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users