WSUS Support Forums: wsusutil movecontent \\servername\sharename - WSUS Support Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

wsusutil movecontent \\servername\sharename Question about moving WSUS content to UNC path

#1 User is offline   cwebster 

• Pip
  • Group: Regular Members

Posted 03 Jun 2009, 09:48

What authentication options do I need to consider on the remote and local server when moving WSUS content to another server on the network? This is an example of the command I would run to move the content:

wsusutil movecontent \\jato\WSUS

I know the resource path must already exist and that it must be readable and writeable for the WSUS and sqlserver (internal DB) processes. I can easily connect to the remote share when logged in with my admin account. What I'm not sure about is how WSUS will gain access to this share when no one is logged in.

I can see that it periodically creates BIT???.tmp files in the WsusContent directory even when no one is logged in. This tells me it will need write access. I don't want to open this share for world read/write access for obvious security reasons. Still, I don't know how to tell WSUS what account to use on the remote server or how to have WSUS use the correct password when it does. Both "Update Services" (wsusservice.exe) and "Internal Database" (sqlservr.exe) appear to be using "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" on the local server but I'm not sure how this will translate on the remote server.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cal Webster

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users