WSUS Support Forums: Understanding the basics - WSUS Support Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Understanding the basics

#1 User is offline   dwheeler 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 02-Nov-06

Posted 22 May 2007, 09:09

This may seem like a silly question but I just want to get the basics clear in my head. :unsure:

OK, say I have 10 PC's each completely up to date with updates. My GPO has Automatic Updates configured to Option 4, install day of every Wednesday and an install time of 10am. The GPO also has the Update Frequency set to every 1 hour (for example)

Now, say Microsoft releases a new update on a Tuesday - will my PC's wait until Wednesday at 10am to download and install this update or will they install the update the next time they check for updates (which is done every hour)?

If it is the second option (install at next check time) how to I get the updates to install at the same time for each PC, say 16:30?

Thanks for the help.

D
0

#2 User is offline   dvanmeter 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Advisory Members
  • Posts: 1522
  • Joined: 22-Jul-03

Posted 22 May 2007, 13:19

View Postdwheeler, on Tue 22nd May 2007, 11:09 am, said:

This may seem like a silly question but I just want to get the basics clear in my head. :unsure:

OK, say I have 10 PC's each completely up to date with updates. My GPO has Automatic Updates configured to Option 4, install day of every Wednesday and an install time of 10am. The GPO also has the Update Frequency set to every 1 hour (for example)

Now, say Microsoft releases a new update on a Tuesday - will my PC's wait until Wednesday at 10am to download and install this update or will they install the update the next time they check for updates (which is done every hour)?

If it is the second option (install at next check time) how to I get the updates to install at the same time for each PC, say 16:30?

Thanks for the help.

D


The download occurs after a checkin, the patch will que up on the system and wait for the time you have specified, so yes wednesday is the day it would wait for. You are bit mixed on download and install. download can be any time (or when it sees there is a new patch on your 1 hour detection cycle, the option 4 you set is the install time.)
0

#3 User is offline   dwheeler 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular Members
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 02-Nov-06

Posted 23 May 2007, 02:48

Am I right in assuming that it will install on the Wednesday unless I set a deadline?

Thanks
0

#4 User is offline   andrewwilliamson 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Regular Members
  • Posts: 38
  • Joined: 27-Apr-07

Posted 23 May 2007, 02:50

View Postdwheeler, on Wed 23rd May 2007, 10:48 am, said:

Am I right in assuming that it will install on the Wednesday unless I set a deadline?

Thanks


It will install at the time dictated by the policy, unless you set a deadline that is sooner. (in your case, wednesday @ 10am). However, be careful about installing updates during "working" hours - your users might not appreciate it :)
0

#5 User is offline   kingart69 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Regular Members
  • Posts: 80
  • Joined: 02-Aug-06

Posted 23 May 2007, 06:34

View Postandrewwilliamson, on Wed 23rd May 2007, 05:50 am, said:

View Postdwheeler, on Wed 23rd May 2007, 10:48 am, said:

Am I right in assuming that it will install on the Wednesday unless I set a deadline?

Thanks


It will install at the time dictated by the policy, unless you set a deadline that is sooner. (in your case, wednesday @ 10am). However, be careful about installing updates during "working" hours - your users might not appreciate it :)



Also - You might want to knock back that "check for updates every hour" thing. Have you perchance looked at your log file on the client machines? (windowsupdate.log) Note that there is no space; the one with the space can be deleted - that's the older client log file. We tossed this around in my environment for a while. While we patch on Sundays normally, we wanted to be able to handle an emergency patch. We set ours to check every 4 hours, figuring if there was an 'emergency' patch - we'd still be able to deploy quickly.

Todd

This post has been edited by kingart69: 23 May 2007, 06:35

0

#6 User is offline   engineerfalde 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Regular Members
  • Posts: 261
  • Joined: 19-Jan-07

Posted 24 May 2007, 11:08

Keep in mind you didn't say anything about when your Synch times are or if you have automatic approvals or if you manually approve items.
This advice is as is. I hope to provide good/correct answers but who knows .....

All things MS WSUS
http://www.microsoft.com/wsus

WSUS 3.0 Deployment Guide (If you haven't searched through this before asking a question you should whack yourself updside the head)
http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=79983

WSUS 3.0 Operations Guide
http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=81072
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users