I read many methods around this site but reverted to what I used last time the old server had to be rebuilt.
It runs like this:
- Run WSUS cleanup to reduce any excess content before migrating on the old server
- Install WSUS on the new server and choose the same path for the working directory as previous - install any patches and WSUS updates
- Ensure that express installation and language options on the exporting server match settings on the importing server
- On the new Server stop the Database service - MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE
- On the new Server stop the Update Service - WsusService
- In the new hardware use Robocopy to import the entire WSUS directory eg: "robocopy e:\wsus d:\wsus /mir" (where e:\wsus is the old location in the disk from the prior server) - (where d:\wsus is the new location as it was on the prior server!)
- On the new Server start the Update Service - WsusService
- On the new Server start the Database service - MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE
From now it should just require minor customisation !
** All cautions apply when using robocopy - read the robocopy help file first as it can and will delete files on command, advice is given freely, chose to ignore it, if it doesn't work in your instance, then there are many more solutions to this task such as the wsusutil application - if it doesn't suit don't use this information at all **
This post has been edited by iFix: 21 Jun 2014, 17:29