WSUS Support Forums: A few updates in WSUS 3 have no assocaited file in the Content Store - WSUS Support Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A few updates in WSUS 3 have no assocaited file in the Content Store What is the best way to re-download these updates.

#1 User is offline   swinster 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular Members

Posted 23 Apr 2015, 12:07

Hi all,

Windows 2008r2
WSUS 3.2.7600.226

I have a handful of updates that fail to install on client machines because the actual update file does not appear in the WSUS content store. The update is set to be Approved and Install, but when you check the file information (right click the update), then navigate to that location, the actual file doesn't exist.

As mentioned there are only a few updates like this. Clean-up didn't work just by itself, but of course the updates aren't declined. Would it be just a simple case of declining the update, running clean-up again to delete the updates, then when the client polls WSUS, would WSUS then synchronise and download the required updates again? Or, by declining then cleaning and deleting an update, are you dooming WSUS to ignore those updates for ever more?

Many thanks

#2 User is offline   swinster 

• PipPip
  • Group: Regular Members

Posted 23 Apr 2015, 13:12

View Postswinster, on 23 Apr 2015, 20:07, said:

Hi all,

Windows 2008r2
WSUS 3.2.7600.226

I have a handful of updates that fail to install on client machines because the actual update file does not appear in the WSUS content store. The update is set to be Approved and Install, but when you check the file information (right click the update), then navigate to that location, the actual file doesn't exist.

As mentioned there are only a few updates like this. Clean-up didn't work just by itself, but of course the updates aren't declined. Would it be just a simple case of declining the update, running clean-up again to delete the updates, then when the client polls WSUS, would WSUS then synchronise and download the required updates again? Or, by declining then cleaning and deleting an update, are you dooming WSUS to ignore those updates for ever more?

Many thanks

FWIW, I ran the "WSUSutil reset" command from the "c:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools" folder. This appears to do pretty much nothing, and in fact seems to cause the WSUS management console to fail. There is no indication that anything is going on, but after a while (read, around an hour for me), the MMC started working again, and the missing files started showing up in the Content folders. Hopefully, this seems to have resolved the issue.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users